Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Prelude to the 12 Spoke Medieval Pavilion

A new tent? Medieval Center pole 12 spoke pavilion. Reasons and Introduction into why I Lady Christiana, am building this style of pavilion.

 Designing and preparation for construction of the 12 spoke Medieval Pavilion.

After my experience with an anachronism event known as End of Summer attended September 2010 up in Vernon, British Columbia the roof of my tent began to leak after a full day of Saturday rain. Everything would have been wet, but in mundane life I use to own a construction company, and usually carry tarps in behind the truck seat. The tarp that I have forgotten about save the day. The canvas of the five year old star pavilion tent one could see daylight, when it was taken down on the following day, and knowing that it was the almost the end of the year except for one more camp out, it was time to consider either a used RV, or replace the canvas on the star pavilion, but there were other things to consider and one of these was the lumber yard that had to be carried to every camp out event, and the other factor was to obtain help in setting up and tearing down the star pavilion.

In setting up the star pavilion, unless one has help, one can be looking anywhere from 60 minutes to 90 minutes just to set the frame and install the canvas, if by yourself. If you have at least between 3 to 4 people it could be possible to setup within 30 minutes, but I Lady Christiana does not have that luxury. With the advent of the Medieval pavilion, it should cut this time down to 20 to 25 minutes for setup, along with the camp furniture, which some of the piece I have made, shown at the end of this website, will undergo modifications to cut down the time in setup, one and I mean one person may have everything set up in between and 1 to 1 1/2 thus cutting the time factor down from 4 1/2 hours for me to setup by myself. When the star pavilion was constructed it was the time that the household was in formation, and there were a few members that had joined, but it was unfortunate, that a few members had move mundanely to Sask. Therefore I had lost my help for setting up the star pavilion.

Examination of both the pop up tent which was showing stress on the frame work from winds, and the aspect of the star pavilion requiring new canvas back at an October 2010 anachronism camp out, it was time to refer back to the interviews with other members that I Lady Christiana have met in October 2009 and June 2010 the Medieval pavilion to begin the designing process.

It was said to me at an anachronism event October 2010 that my campsite looked to mundane, account of the kitchen that I must drag around with me, account that most breakfast and day foods that are serve at these events are either pancakes and sausages along with buns, bread or and sweets. My personal food taste does like some of these foods, but the foods don't like me in the form of food allergies and cramps. In short I have to carry a kitchen with me, however that is another story.

In considering that 1) carrying of the lumber yard, 2) lack of help or thereof, 3) the aspects of either new canvas, RV which is expensive, or a new pavilion. This would sit with me for the next few months for a decision. Back in late October 2010 I begun the designs from the research, and interviews of other members that had the same style of tent, and from the Internet, I set forth my pencil and begun designing. In searching the web, I have manage to find instructions for the eight spoke pavilion, but for a 12 spoke pavilion, one would have to do e-commerce to purchase the plans and instructions. I Lady Christiana have had a bad experience with e-commerce on the web, and my policies, I will only deal with brick and mortar stores,when it comes to the exchange of currencies, and besides that if I did purchase the plans over the Internet, they had to come for the most part, from the United States, as seems most of the other items that is require to create props for anachronism events. This site is free to use to construct your own pavilion!

One of the reasons why it had taken so long, before making a decision to go ahead, was I spent 2 years in researching this style of pavilion, and finding Canadian Suppliers. Some items are easy to find, but other items became difficult, and even some were not available. I am currently having problems tracking down a local supplier for Celtic Harp Hardware which is another story.

In designing the 12 spoke pavilion and with interview with other members, have come up with a method that one person can set up this style of pavilion. In making the frame (Section 2 frame) it took just a few minutes to set up the frame for photos. The installation of the pavilion fabric may add a few more minutes to the setup time, and there is no tools required, other than a hammer to set the tent pegs. In using regular sail canvas, one must deal with the weight of the materials. In searching I have come across the white poly-fibreglass tarps (similar to that used on portable garage shelters) in as large as 50ft x 60ft for an approx cost of 160.00. This material is strong, resistant to mold, and is water proof, and requires no additional water repellent. It was one of these tarps that I had used at an event that prevent rain from ruining items and garb inside my pavilion which gave me the original idea. With the cost of canvas somewhere between 12 to 25 dollars a meter, it can become expensive - somewhere around the 600 dollar mark for starters. But if you wish to use canvas please contact me for the Canadian supplier located in Edmonton Alberta. I can forward you an email for contacting the supplier. The only other supplier that I have been informed of is located in the Seattle Region in WA and from what I have heard it is 12 dollars per yard. Remember if ordering from the USA there is duty possible, definitely both taxes other than Alberta which is the GST and brokerage fees, which can mount up.

To give the interior a little Bing and to give color, I Lady Christiana will also be installing an inner lining which will serve as a barrier and insulator to the cold, and draft from the exterior of the tent. The model shown in Section 1 - Designs, shows the inner lining. Lining materials can be purchase at Fabricland - Drapery section and can range from 6.00 dollars and upwards. This is depended on your taste.

As for the materials for framework, I finally settle on wood dowels, but in researching and looking around there are other material that would serve the function as well, and cost wise these materials vary slightly. The reason of choosing wood has two advantages, 1) it doe not attract cold like metal does, and 2) if god forbids a structural member breaks, it is easy to get another wood replacement - even at a campsite, as there is usually a lumber yard or hardware store nearby - for a quick and temporary repair. However square and round aluminum tubing is available and it comes in a length that one can make three lengths 80 inches long. For an idea of cost the square tubing is .09 x 1 1/4 in tubing and cost about 2.00 per foot. The cost of doweling ranges from 1.55 to 2.10 per foot pending if it is 1 5/16 to 1 1/2 inch diameter respectively. As one can see the cost is similar. I have also seen top rails of chain link fencing used for the center pole, and yes I think it could be used for the spokes, but other than the center pole, which has an advantage because one end is taper to accept another length of top rail would be the weight. If you are using the top rail of chain link fences, by all means use the center disk mention in Section 2 but omit the center hole.

Below is the list of instructions on how to make the 12 spoke Medieval pavilion, and I Lady Christina will in the next few months will post some photos of the completed pavilion.

To contact please email pheasant01@yahoo.com (numerical 01)

Medieval center post - 12 spoke pavilion
Section 1 - Design
Section 2 - Frame
Section 3 - Fabric and Patterns
Section 4 - Options
Section 5 - Setup and takedown instructions

No comments:

Post a Comment